Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl

IN ETHAN WATE'S HOMETOWN THERE LIES THE DARKEST OF SECRETS...


There is a Girl.
Slowly, she pulled the hood from her head...green eyes, black hair.


Lena Duchannes


There is a Curse.
On the Sixteenth Moon, of the Sixteenth Year, the Book will take what it's been Promised.


And No One can Stop it.


IN THE END, THERE IS A GRAVE.


Lena and Ethan become bound together by a deep, powerful love. But Lena is cursed and, on her sixteenth birthday, her fate will be decided.


Ethan never saw it coming.




I was captured by this blurb at the back of the book. The last words chilled me and I knew I had to read it. and fast. 


The Other Blurb however:


Ethan Wate, a high school sophomore, plans to escape his small Southern town as soon as he can. Life has been difficult since his mother died; his father, a writer, has withdrawn into his study. Then Lena Duchannes arrives, and this strange new girl is the very one who has been occupying his dreams. She and her kin are Casters, beings who have supernatural powers. Getting to know her exposes Ethan to time travel, mortal danger, and love. The teens can hardly bear to be apart, but Lena's 16th birthday, when she will be Claimed for dark or light, is only 6 months away. To save her, they fight supernatural powers and the prejudice of closed-minded people. Yet, good and evil are not clearly delineated, nor are they necessarily at odds. In the Gothic tradition of Anne Rice, the authors evoke a dark, supernatural world in a seemingly simple town obsessed with Civil War reenactments and deeply loyal to its Confederate past. The intensity of Ethan and Lena's need to be together is palpable, the detailed descriptions create a vivid, authentic world, and the allure of this story is the power of love. The satisfying conclusion is sure to lead directly into a sequel.


was not that effective. Sure, I really wanted to read the book. But there's no feeling. No sense of suspense. The first one was fantastic, everything that the book was.


Beautiful Creatures was fantastic and a different type of paranormal romance. It's a southern gothic and that adds up to its originality. It links in History, Myth and Fantasy and it's result is this: an amazing novel which every teen should read. It's romantic, it's suspenseful and it's surprising.


It's also set from a boy's perspective, which made this different as most paranormal or supernatural romances seem to be mainly focused on the female's perspective. This was a different, yet great change, as to maybe even guys would be able to read this, as to a point where most books featuring the creatures such as Vampires, Werewolves, Angels, Fairies etc. Guys wouldn't DARE touch. Sure there are some, but not too many far and in between. This book proves to be one of those very few, which adds to it's brilliance.


The second book came out a few days ago, and I cannot WAIT to get started reading that one! first, I'd better go buy one, but still. Beautiful Darkness seems as promising...

8 comments:

  1. I've had my eye on this book for a while! Thanks for the awesome review! I'm sometimes a little bit weary reading books from a boys perspective. I will definitely check it out! Don't forget to check out the giveaway on my blog!

    Allison
    Imabibliophobic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been trying to decide whether to read this one or not, especially since they've started filming the movie. Now I'm convinced I have to read it! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Creatures is now on my wishlist, thank you for this amazing review, very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading this right now! Pretty good so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently read this, and loving that it's from Ethan's POV. I wasn't always a fan of the male POV, but I'm definitely warming.

    I agree on the blurbs. The first one is absolutely eerie, and it fits the book perfectly. The second one would make me pass the book by completely.

    I love the mix of history, mythology, gothic, and fantasy. It's all so different, but it works together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful creatures is on my wishlist. I fell in love with the description

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your personal marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you're a great author. I will remember to bookmark your blog and will often come back sometime soon. I want to encourage yourself to continue your great work, have a nice evening!
    Also visit my weblog :: van nelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice answer back in return of this query with genuine arguments and telling all regarding that.
    Feel free to surf my weblog amphora tobacco

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!