Book Breakups - Week 5

"Book Breakups" is a weekly meme hosted by Pure ImaginationHave you ever stopped reading a book because it was so boring, you couldn't finish it or for whatever reason just stopped? This is what this meme's about.


One Book I've broken up with:


Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen


I broke up with this book, because, well...


I guess I was kinda too "young" at that time (I think I was 12 :S) to really understand this book. I had seen the movie (the one with Kiera Knightly!) and really loved it, and so I decided to read it. I managed to get through halfway, but then I stopped. I would really love to continue it though, now that I would understand it more and have "matured" in book reading. I just have to find time...






but anyway, here's a blurb (along with praise :P):


"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues. Renowned literary critic and historian George Saintsbury in 1894 declared it the "most perfect, the most characteristic, the most eminently quintessential of its author's works," and Eudora Welty in the twentieth century described it as "irresistible and as nearly flawless as any fiction could be."

"The wit of Jane Austen has for partner the perfection of her taste."
--Virginia Woolf



Well, that's one more breakup! Which book have you stood up?? Leave a link/comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!