Witchlanders by Lena Coakley

Witchlanders by Lena Coakley


Release Date: August 30th, 2011
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Rating: MG/YA 12+
Format: eARC
Source: Simon & Schuster's Galley Grab
AmazonGoodreadsWebsite


High in their mountain covens, red witches pray to the Goddess, protecting the Witchlands by throwing the bones and foretelling the future.
It’s all a fake.
At least, that’s what Ryder thinks. He doubts the witches really deserve their tithes—one quarter of all the crops his village can produce. And even if they can predict the future, what danger is there to foretell, now that his people’s old enemy, the Baen, has been defeated?
But when a terrifying new magic threatens both his village and the coven, Ryder must confront the beautiful and silent witch who holds all the secrets. Everything he’s ever believed about witches, the Baen, magic and about himself will change, when he discovers that the prophecies he’s always scorned—
Are about him.

**This Review is based on an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy). The final text/cover may be different.**


Witchlanders was magical, and really takes me back to the stories that I used to read when I was younger, like The Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings. It has the same fantasy 'feel' to it and brings the world of witches (real witches, not the YA modern day/salem trial witches) out of the "old" children's stories and back again.


Ryder and Falpain were great main characters. I haven't read a boy's POV in a long time, so this was really refreshing! I do have to say though, I liked Falpain over Ryder, because he was so much more understanding and plus...I might have a thing for musicians/singers :P But Ryder was so much more stiffer and angrier than Falpain, so it kind of got 'meh-ish' a little bit. But nonetheless, both are amazing!
OMG, I'm in love with that adorable Dreadhound Bo!!! So cute, even though he has saber-toothed fangs. I want one :D I didn't, however, really like Ryder's sister. She's really annoying at times, especially when she wants to join the witches and stuff. Really ticked me off.


There's no romance in this book, which is somewhat a relief, 'cause you do find that a LOT in YA books, especially recently. I really liked how it's focused more on the relationship which Ryder and Falpain have to find with each other, how they have to learn to trust and believe in one another. This was pretty hilarious at times, as they don't always agree on certain things.
I also liked how that there wasn't so much of a "girl's book" though the cover may be misleading. I really thought that the silent girl would play more of a part, but she did have her moments...okay, confession. I was really hoping that something would happen between Ryder and that girl and Ryder's sister and Falpain. But nope, nothing did, and probably, it IS better that way.


Lena Coakley has written a beautiful YA debut, where magic and fantasy really come back to life, bringing back so many childhood memories. I love her concept of witches, as it's rarely seen these days, and love the plot and how everything builds up to a cliffhanging conclusion. Really hope there's a sequel. I can't wait to find out what happens after!
If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this one so much! I did too, and I've been looking around to see what everyone else thought. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to decide on this one, but I wasn't sure exactly what it was all about. I'm always intrigued by witch tales. Great review, I think I might have to put this on my list :0)

    Sarah @ The Book Life

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!