Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse by Lucas Klauss

Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse by Lucas Klauss


Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Author
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Phillip's sophomore year is off to a rough start. One of his best friends ditches him for a group of douchebags. His track coach singles him out for personalized, torturous training sessions. And his dad decides to clean out all of the emergency supplies from the basement, even though the world could end in disaster at any moment...and even though those supplies are all Phillip has left of his dead mom. Not that he wants to talk about that.

But then Phillip meets Rebekah. Not only is she unconventionally hot and smart, but she has seriously great boobs. And she might like him back.

As Phillip gets closer to Rebekah, he tries harder and harder to turn himself into the kind of person he thinks she wants him to be. But the question is, can he become that person? And does he really want to?

This was a great contemporary novel, yet I didn't realise how religious it was. There's no mention about it in the blurb, so I assumed it would just be a regular YA contemporary from a guy's (YAY!) point of view.
Even though I prefer not to read religious themed books, Lucas Klauss' writing made me want to read on and made me laugh, and curious about Philip's past with his mom.


To see Philip's struggle emotionally and physically as he comes to terms with who he is and what he really wants was a thumbs up for me. It really got in depth with what Philip's thoughts were during the whole book, and I think that's important as it really showed his character, and that he has flaws, just like any other being. What I didn't like, however, was his need to impress Rebekah. I guess that's one of his flaws, but I don't know what I'd say if a guy converted just to ask me out. Just a little too much effort on his part, I think.


Rebekah was a character I can't really say I like, but then I can't really find anything to hate about her as well. She's just one of those in-between characters that I feel neutral about. Although I do hate her in one part...you'll just have to read to find out :)
FERRET!!! I gotta say, that guy is great. He's practically the stereotypical teacher (according to Philip)– doesn't think about the pain of others, just overdoes it and then sees the damage in the end. But I love the connection that he and Philip have during the book, as it grows from hate to mutual understanding. And plus, those runs that he makes Philip endure sound really painful.


I guess because I'm not Christian, I didn't understand some parts of the book which had to do with more religious stuff. But as Philip's learning it for the first time as well, it really helped to see things through his perspective as he learns and tries about this religion.


Overall, Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse, other than being a HUGE title, is a great story about finding yourself and what you believe in. Funny and a real eye-opener, you just can't help but fall in love with Philip as he gives his best effort into getting the girl– even if it means changing what you believe in and taking in the world around you. Lucas Klauss has written an amazing debut which, even though religious, will catch the interest of many YA readers. You need to read this book!


If you like this, try...


*Thank you so much to Lucas Klauss for sending me an eGalley of this book*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!