Cliques, Hicks and Ugly Sticks by KD McCrite

Cliques, Hicks and Ugly Sticks by KD McCrite


Release Date: December 6, 2011
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Series: Confessions of April Grace, Book 2
Rated: MG 11+
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Just when April Grace thought the drama was over. . .


After an automobile accident, Isabel St. James-resident drama coach and drama queen-needs help putting together the church play. Mama insists April Grace and Myra Sue will help. April's fall is now devoted to spending every afternoon with Isabel and Myra Sue-if anyone is as big of a drama queen as Isabel, it's Myra Sue. Plus, she's dumb. (Okay, not dumb, but "older sister dumb.") If that's not enough, Isabel is wreaking havoc in the community trying to get Rough Creek Road paved, the new boy at school will "not" leave her alone, and then Mama drops the biggest bombshell of all . . . April Grace is no longer going to be the baby of the family . . .



Girls will completely relate to April and love her sense of humor as she deals with siblings, boys, and the many changes that come with growing up.


April Grace is ADORABLE. I tend not to read too much MG, but she is one irresistible heroine. She reminds me of a southern and slightly older version of Junie B. Jones! I absolutely love this series, and the sequel to the first, In Front of God and Everybody, is clearly no exception. Cliques, Hicks and Ugly Sticks shows April Grace's move from elementary to middle school, get through mean girls, and try to cope with Myra Sue and Isabel.

I can't see myself hating April Grace– it's just too hard! She's got that innocence of a young child, and I can clearly see my younger self in her: thinks she knows better than everyone else, doesn't stand for no nonsense and will see it through that things go her way, or to help others. You can't help but admire her as she deals with everything that goes on in this book.
April's Grandma has to be one of the modern ones I can think of. She (and yes, you're not reading me wrong here) is stuck in a love triangle. But OH GODS, the food she makes had my stomach growling throughout. Nevermind that I'd never eaten it before or have no idea what it looked like– it sounded amazing. Okay, enough ramblings about the food. I love the rest of April's family as well: her mother, who's pretty mood swingy in this book, her father, who's understanding and kind...and then there's Myra Sue, her sister. I'm an older sister, but Myra Sue sounds really awful in some parts. I guess that's just the way April Grace sees it, so now I'm wondering how my younger siblings feel about me...
Isabel is one interesting character. Probably the one that'll stick with you the most when you're reading and when you've read this book. She's sharp, but totally has a soft side. It's great to see Isabel's character transform from the previous book as well as in this one.

If you're looking for a fabulous middle grade series to start reading, or even hesitant about this age-level's books, READ THIS NOW. April Grace will make you laugh and snort 'till tears run down your face. It's hilarious, fresh and sweet– KD McCrite's writing describes the south beautifully, and makes me long for some biscuits and gravy. Can't wait to read more of the Confessions of April Grace.


If you like this, try...

  • Absolutely Normal Chaos by Shannon Creech ◆ Goodreads
  • Dizzy by Cathy Cassidy ◆ Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Love the title! Wonder if this series will go more YA as the characters get older?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have such a hard time with MG usually. I love when one swoops in and takes you by surprise!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!