The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

The Chaos of Stars by Kiersten White

Release Date: September 10, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rated: YA 14+
Format: eGalley
Source: Edelweiss
Buy: Amazon ● The Book Depository
GoodreadsWebsite

Isadora’s family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, as the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that pretty much comes with the territory. She’s also stuck with parents who barely notice her, and a house full of relatives who can’t be bothered to remember her name. After all, they are going to be around forever—and she’s a mere mortal.


Isadora’s sick of living a life where she’s only worthy of a passing glance, and when she has the chance to move to San Diego with her brother, she jumps on it. But Isadora’s quickly finding that a “normal” life comes with plenty of its own epic complications—and that there’s no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family. Much as she wants to leave her past behind, she can’t shake the ominous dreams that foretell destruction for her entire family. When it turns out there may be truth in her nightmares, Isadora has to decide whether she can abandon her divine heritage after all.

Kiersten White is on a role! She seems to be popping out with so many books lately... and I love it! I adored The Chaos of Stars. I stayed up till 3 am to finish this one, because once I started I found that I just couldn't stop.
Some people don't like the way that White writes, but I really enjoy it because it always sounds super sarcastic and snarky, funny, and pretty much how a teen would talk and act, filled with eye-rolls to the nth degree. Many people didn't like this book and I'll admit: I got a little scared before reading it. However, I found that I really enjoyed this as a book itself and thought that the concept was fabulous.

I found myself smiling at Isadora's  commentary as she acts like it's the end of the world for her– everything seems super dramatic for her, but I loved that. It reminded me similarly of White's other main characters, such as Evie in Paranormalcy and Fia from Mind Games. They all have such similar qualities, yet posses certain aspects to their characters that set them apart. What I didn't like however was Isadora pushing away Ry constantly.
RY! *SWOON* I was taken from the mention of olive-toned skin. I seriously would have wanted this book to be apart of a series to make sure there was more Ry in it. He was so charming. I really didn't understand how our main character could stay away from him. Extremely hot, with a killer bod? Check. Sweet personality? Check. Am I swooning just typing up about him? You betcha. CHECK.

Egyptian mythology was one of my favorite topics to learn about in elementary school. Once upon a time I would have actually been able to tell you who was the god or goddess of what, and little bits and pieces of myths and legends. As time went by though, I ended up forgetting a lot of it, because I've been taken over by the slightly overpowering-to-other-myths Greek mythology. There are many, many books about Greek mythology. You don't actually find too many about Egyptian myths, with the exception of Rick Riordan's The Red Pyramid and the rest of the Kane Chronicles.
I really loved the way that the author managed to get in some of the myths and information about the gods and goddesses into the book without making it sound completely overloaded. Every chapter would feature a snippet of a story, with an Isadora-twist to it, so it sounded like a teen was telling it. I enjoyed learning about it again and even though some of it didn't have too much to do with the actual storyline (although some clearly did have a connection to it), I just found it a nice touch to the novel.

In the end, I relished the uniqueness of the story and how White was able to bring about such an original premise. The Chaos of Stars had the right amount of everything, especially the overdose of teen drama and hilarity. With a headstrong main character and a swoon-worthy guy, my eyes were glued to this book. Kiersten White has made me fall in love with yet another book, and I hope she will again, and again... and again.


If you like this, try...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, glad to know someone enjoyed it, because we looooved MIND GAMES and were hoping White would follow up with another great story. This one sounds a bit lighter in tone than MIND GAMES, but that's probably good for summer. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Egyptian mythology connection but I was among those who didn't really like this book-it was just missing that spark for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!