The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten

The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten

Release Date: March 10, 2015
Publisher: Walker Books
Rated: YA 14+
Format: Paperback
Source: Pansing
Buy: Available at all good bookstores!
Goodreads Website

“I believe that I fell in love with Robyn Plummer last Monday. This feeling is extremely uncomfortable.”

Adam so wants to be Robyn’s superhero, but how can he let himself fall in love when he can’t even save the world? What he needs is a list:

1. Grow immediately.
2. Find courage.
3. Keep courage.
4. Get normal.
5. Marry Robyn Plummer.

A beautiful, funny and heart-wrenching story of love, brokenness and the purest form of bravery: giving in and asking for help.

I hadn’t heard of this one before I was offered a copy for review, but it sounded quite interesting and cute, so I thought “why not?” and started it. There were several things that I didn’t know about the book before starting because the blurb didn’t give too much away. Firstly, I thought this was a middle grade book but I found that it’s more young adult than middle grade. Secondly, this book deals with OCD. Most of the characters mentioned have some form of OCD–which is how Adam meets Robyn. Lastly, the mystery aspect. There’s a whole other side to the story (other than the romance) and it’s kind of a slow-thrillery aspect. The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B was a slow read but it was an excellent one. I really learned a lot more about OCD than I have from reading other YA novels on the subject.

I found it pretty interesting that the members of the support group all take on superhero personas. It’s a technique to disassociate with the OCD-part of themselves. It’s great how the superhero identities are the opposite of their problems, as you’ll soon come to learn. Adam’s character was so amazing. I felt so bad for him since on top of his problems he has to solve everyone else’s. He has to be there for his mother, his younger brother, Robyn...he definitely has a lot on his plate, sadly. While I didn’t think the romance was too different from other YA romances, I did love the relationship he had with Sweetie, his younger half-brother. It was really adorable to see how much they care for each other, and how they both have the same way of dealing with their problems. It was sweet to see how much Sweetie looks up to his older brother and doesn’t see him as having a mental illness or a problem, but instead as a hero.

There are slight religious tones to this book. It’s not outright, but it’s very slight in that Robyn is curious about Catholicism and the support group goes to Adam’s Church more than once. I’m not a fan of religious books, but this one wasn’t preachy and it felt like a very natural part of the book. I will admit I was first a bit doubtful when the first mention of religion came up, but as the book went on I came to see that it wasn’t a major part of it, which was good.

Charming and poignant, The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B was a wonderful and powerful novel. The ending was fantastic, and I had NO idea it would end like that. Teresa Toten's captivating novel will move readers. I can’t wait to see what this author brings to the table next!


▪ ▪ ▪ Thank you so much to Sasha at Pansing for sending a copy for review! ▪ ▪ 

If you like this, try...

3 comments:

  1. Better than the bitch on 3B or whateverthat show was...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this one before now either but I think I would like it. Seems like there is a good message and it really goes over what OCD is. I wouldn't mind the religious undertones as long as they aren't thrown in your face, and it sounds like it isn't Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this a little while back and absolutely adored it too. Adam's character was just so incredibly lovely and I couldn't agree more, he just had so much on his plate that even most adults would struggle with that much stress he carries. Wonderful review Rabiah, so glad you enjoyed this one too <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I'll try to visit your blog (if you have one) and comment back!